attractions companies history food sport accommodation city and districts events health resort

The town contains a war monument dedicated to fallen Russian soldiers who took place in battles in Sopot. The monument has been mounted on a former German monument from 1909, which was supposed to symbolize German guard on east border. The monument was made of large stone situated on granite perpendicular plinth, where on top of the stone, a large bronze eagle weighting 1.5 tons was attached. In 1945, the eagle was taken to the Soviet Union as a war trophy. After a cemetery was made, the red star was mounted on the monument, together with a memorial table in the Polish and Russian languages. Translated to English it reads: "For the heroes liberating Sopot". Also, a table with 63 names is attached to the monument. The cemetery is the final resting place for 646 Russian soldiers. The cemetery is located in the forest, just steps from Zeromski Street .

The Sopot Citizens Monument , built in 1985, is a bronze eagle mounted on a perpendicular concrete plinth. The sculpture is 6.5 meters high and resides next to City Hall. During the first hours of WWII, the German police began the arrest of Poles living in Sopot. Poles active in various Polish organizations and intellectuals were particularly vulnerable to these arrests. On the sides of the plinth, the names of 74 Poles who died in various concentration camps or were executed just after being arrested are engraved.

Jean Haffner Monument : Haffner is widely considered to be the father of the health resort in Sopot. He arrived in Gdansk in 1808 as an army surgeon with the Napoleonic army. From 1811 on, he worked as a doctor in Gdansk . In 1923 he opened baths in Sopot, laying the foundation for future health resorts, which he had been developing until his death. The monument by Zbigniew Jozwiak was unveiled on October 10, 2004. On this day 103 years ago, the status of town was conferred on Sopot on October 8th, 1901, signed by Emperor Wilhelm II.

A fountain with a sculpture of a fisherman was designed by Bruna Wandtke and made by sculptor Stanislaw Szwechowicz in 1998 to commemorate the existence of a fishing settlement until around 1820. The original sculpture, which was made over 100 years ago, can be seen in a garden of one of buildings next to the railway station.

The Monument of Athletes is situated next to the forest stadium. It is made of stone, is about 2.5 meters high, and was built in 1928. In 1965 it was moved and placed next to the university and dedicated to the memory of Poles murdered by Germans for participating in various Polish associations, particularly for belonging to the Polish Western Association. In 1985 it was moved again to its original place and a marble plate was attached to it with the worlds "To the memory of athletes who lost their lives fighting with the invader in 1939-1945" engraved on it.

The Monument of Sailors is situated next to the North Baths. It is made of stone, is 1.7 meters high, and is situated on a perpendicular granite plinth to which an anchor wit chain is attached. It was originally built between wars and was dedicated to pilots. In 1948 a marble plate was attached to it with the words "to the memory of Polish sailors who sacrificed themselves for the Polish People's Republic, Sopot 1948"

A Monument commemorating the return of Sopot to Poland was made in 1980. It is made of two pieces of granite 2.5 meters high. On the bottom there is a bronze table with the herb of Sopot, and on the upper portion the following words are engraved "March 23, 1945", which the date when the Soviet army entered the town, ending German rule. It is located on the intersection of Eliza Orzeszkowa and Adam Mickiewicz Street .

The Adam Mickiewicz monument is made of a square concrete slab supported by a large stone. On the slab there is a bronze cast of Adam Mickiewicz commemorating the 100th anniversary of the death of this famous Polish writer. The monument was made in 1998 and it is situated on the intersection of Fryderyk Chopin and Tadeusz Kosciuszko street .

The Monument of the Country Army is dedicated to the fallen and murdered soldiers of the underground army who fought the German occupation. It was mounted on a decorative slab next to the university building in 1998.

The Monument of Frederic Chopin, it is a stone sculpture by Stanislaw Horno-Poplawski one of the best know regional sculptors, just steps from the City Hall, made in 1998.

strona domowa